Saturday, May 26, 2012

Comicpalooza Picture-rama!!!

I haven't played Assassin's
Creed, but I recognize the look
immediately.  Not a bad fan effort.
This will be both an enhanced and slim post.  There's plenty of pictures, but not much that I'll be writing tonight.

I figured I'd take a few choice pictures of all the excellent costumes and looks that people have put together for today's trip to Houston's comic convention, Comicpalooza.  It was quite the feast for the eyes, as it seems every geek, nerd, dork and dweeb from Houston was there, and in proud form.  I unapologetically count myself among their number!

I've been here all weekend so far, in both a professional and fan capacity.  The presentation about libraries and the comic book industry went well, and there were plenty of interested hangers-on afterward who wanted to talk to me and my co-panelists.  It was a nice feeling. :)  We worked the HPL table afterwards, and helped customers register for library cards and showed that the library carries plenty of graphic novels.  We got quite a few applications, which was wonderful.

The Doctor was there, along
with his wife, the TARDIS. :)
After that, I had purchased a 3-day pass, and wandered to all the various events and exhibits at the con.  As you can see below, there was plenty to see, and my phone actually ran out of power from taking so many pictures, among other reasons.  Take a look and enjoy the images!

I was particularly struck by two things: first off, the costumes looked great.  Everyone obviously put their passion and effort into their presentation, and there were so many people asking and posing for pictures that it was very heartwarming.  Also, everyone in costume was very accommodating and cheerful about posing for pics.  There was nothing but happy reactions to picture requests, and I think that says a lot of good about this particular culture of Houstonites!

Possibly very amusingly, I'm looking forward to the day when I can be the big geek someone stops and asks to take a photo with or of.

Come on, Nightwing costume...

Wonderful Codex costume effort from a photogenic con-goer!
Possibly more pictures for tomorrow's post!




Insane he may be, but this Deadpool was very eager to pose for
pictures!

There were many exhibits, but I thought this Tentacle Kitty booth was particularly adorable-yet-disturbing.  

Contrary to public perception, Rorschach turned out to be
completely gracious and polite in public.

A Dalek and K-9 display... :)

Cap and Iron Man!

A completely silent, but totally expressive Portal Companion
Cube!

The most awesome Harley Quinn at the con today!  Not only
did she look the part, but she was completely in character, with
the voice and everything!

An excellent Riddler costume!   Disagree?  Play Arkham City!


A bird's-eye view of the exhibits from the second floor of GRB!

And a corresponding look at the stage floor!

5 comments:

  1. I don't know what assassins creed game that is from. It might just be an interpretation of the costume of the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I was so taken aback when I asked Riddler/Harley for a picture and she said "sho-wah!" in pitch-perfect Harley-voice. Was awesome. (Creepily good.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I published all the pics I took over the weekend! I must have missed you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya! Just wanted to say thanks for the sweet comments about my Harley Quinn interpretation! Hoping to get some more outfits together and make some more cons.
    Stay classy Puddin'!

    XOXO

    -Mali

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were great! For a split second after you started speaking, I actually thought you were Arleen Sorkin. It was surreal! Keep up the excellent work!

    ReplyDelete